Author Topic: In an IPA and had a wage rise - spent it on christmas - Help!!!  (Read 1131 times)

tower

Hi all,

my girlfriend went bankrupt in summer and an IPA was set up at £20 per month. Just before christmas she got a backdated pay rise and on her December salary she earned approximately £400 extra compared to normal.  Unfortunately it all got spent getting through christmas and now we're panicking about what to do.  :-[

We're considering saving up the £400 then contacting the OR and explaining the situation. What is likely to happen? How do they even check to see if people get pay rises?

thanks... Tower.

James Falla

Re: In an IPA and had a wage rise - spent it on christmas - Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
Hi tower

The bottom line is your girlfriend really should have informed the official receiver about the money she received. It is possible that before she is discharged the OR will ask to see some additional wages slips or bank statements and so they could well find out. She definitely needs to tell the OR about her payrise as her money will be higher ongoing and the OR might want to increase the IPA. As such if at all possible the best thing to do would be to save up the £400 so it is available and then contact the OR. If this is simply not possible then it would be best to just contact the OR anyway and explain what has happened. I am sure they will help put a plan in place to resove the issue. Much better to do that than the OR finding out from bank statements and accusing her of withholding information.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

Simon Wyllie

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
I agree with James entirely.
If the sum can be raised and paid over I'm sure that there will be no serious consequences.

James Falla

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
Hi there Tower

How did your girlfriend get on with the OR? Did you save up the £400 and then hand it over or did she speak to the OR and explain? I would be interested in hearing how you got on.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com