Author Topic: Bit of a mess - please help  (Read 1614 times)

William84

Bit of a mess - please help
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can please help with the following.

When i was younger, i was an idiot. Fact. I didn't really have a good understanding of more bills = i need to earn more money. As such i got into debt. Because i was young and stupid, i buried my head in the sand in the hope it would go away.

At the time i lived with my father however he moved up north and i stayed down south as i didnt want to go. I couldnt afford car insurance as my work dried up so did without and got caught. i received letters saying because i hadnt paid certain dvla fines my driving licence would be revoked. my car was eventually reposessed. this was around 2004/2005. i have other unpaid bills from the same time like a a mobile bill,  fines from the dvla for having no tax/insurance, car finance etc

now, i moved in with a friend temporarily and now live with my girlfriend in her house. im eager to find out where i stand with my debts as i want to know what my financial position is - i really want to get a mortgage in the future. im worried about doing a credit check (ive never, ever done one) as i know when i enter my details to register it will link addresses and im worried this will alert debt agencies to my whereabouts and i'll be slapped with a big bill i cant pay.

will my debts have been wiped off by now? would i still need to pay the dvla / court fines to have a clear credit file for a mortgage?

i know this is not good to just ignore debts and u dont need to tell me how much of a plonker i am. theres not a single day that goes past when i dont think that i might be getting a knock on the door and locked up or whatever. this is the first time ive tried to get help on the situation...

will.

James Falla

Re: Bit of a mess - please help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
Hi Will

From what you have said I suspect that those fines are still owed. If you are serious about getting everything straight then I would recommend that you get a copy of your credit file and bite the bullet. I think your credit rating is still going to be poor and it will affect your chances of gettign a mortgage unless you address the situation. Unfortunately court fines cannot be written off with a formal insolvency procedure (like and IVA or even bankruptcy) so you will need to get these settled yourself. Are you now in a position to be able to make some payments? If so then as I say bit the bullet and get your file. At least then you are not constantly worrying and looking over your shoulder.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

William84

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »
Hi James

Thanks for your reply and advice.

Yes I'm now in a position to start making payments. When I register on Equifax to obtain a copy of my credit file, is it from this point my address details are made available to debt agencies? And do you think I've any chance of being able to setup a payment plan after all this time or will they just go to town on me?

Thanks,

Will.

William84

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
And sorry, I'm talking about car finance and mobile bills here, not court fines which you've kindly explained...

Will.

James Falla

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
Hi Will

It is difficult to be absolutely sure. However I do suspect that the process of you giving a credit reference agency your current home address will start to trigger collection action from your creditors. In terms of the car fianance and mobile bills, I am sure that you will be able to negotiate a payment plan. However it will be best to pay off the court fines as quickly as possible so making bare minimum payments to your other creditors while you do that would be a sensible thing to do.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

William84

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:54:56 PM »
OK thanks James, your advice is very much appreciated.

Will.

James Falla

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »
No probem at all Will

Please let us know how you get on and if you need any further advice do not hesitate to post :)
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com