Author Topic: DCA and the law HELP!!!  (Read 1191 times)

under

DCA and the law HELP!!!
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
Hi guys first post so be gentle...
I am in dispute with a company and they have just ignored my letters and sent the debt straight to a DCA. The DCA have called me over 60 to 80 times in about 3 to 4 weeks chasing this dedt. When I tried to wxplain to them that I am in dispute with the other company they just ask me to pay over the phone there and then. They have now sent a letter, standard one I presume, saying that they may send the account to an external doorstep collector and may make an application for a county court judgment.
1) can the original company sell on the debt when I am in dispute with them.
2) what are the DCA's guidlines in what they have said in their letter and can they do anything.
3) are there any standard letters for responding to them I could have a look at???

Cheers

under

Re: DCA and the law HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »
Anyone  :)

James Falla

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
Hi there under

Sorry for the slow response. To answer your first question, I assume that this debt has not been sold on. Rather the company has just instructed a debt collecting agent to try and collect what it believes it is owed.

If you are in dispute with about the debt there are a couple of things you can do. You should write a formal letter of complaint to the origional company asking them to confirm their mistake in writing and cancelling all further collection activities. State that if they do not do this then you will escalate to the the office of fair trading (OFT). If nothing happens and the company do actually try top take you to court and apply for a CCJ, you then have the opportunity to formally dispute the debt and argue your case to the court if you wish.

If you are suffering harassment at the hand of a creditor or debt collection (which it sounds as though you are) then you certainly also have grounds for complaint. There is lots of information about how to deal with harassment from creditors [** sorry, no personal contact invitations allowed **].
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

under

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
Thank you. This was from a car lease, I sent the car back and they said that I had not had the car serviced even though I had proved I had, they then would not respond to my letters and suddenly this collection company are calling me 4 or 5 times a day.

Even worse is that the car is in my wife's name but they only call my phone chasing the money. When I aksed the original company certain questions in two letters they have just ignored it.
Cheers

James Falla

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »
Hmmm

As you are disputing this debt I am not going to be able to offer you much more advice I am afraid. My expertise is in the area of dealing with debt if you agree that it is owed. If the orgional company is not responding to you then as I mentioned before the best thing to do is write a formal letter of complaint threatening to escalate to the Office of Fair Trading if you do not get a satisfactory response. This is normally enough to prompt them into action.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

under

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice... :)

James Falla

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »
No problem at all under. Don't hesitate to come back to us if you have any other questions.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com