Author Topic: Debt no one can tell me what is it for......  (Read 2185 times)

Sussex Girl

Debt no one can tell me what is it for......
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
 Hi I’m hoping someone here can give me some advice or help.
Some years ago I got into financial difficulties and basically had run up to much credit on cards and loans. I did the sensible thing and went to CCCS for help with dealing with my situation and they helped me negotiating payments to my creditors so I could pay back my debits to them. In July 2009 I was made redundant and paid off all the creditors with part of my redundancy pay via CCCS and thought I at last would be debt free.
In October 2010 I received a letter from a Debt Collecting agency (a different agency to the one I had been paying to via CCCS) claiming I still owed £700 on this particular card. I contacted the Agency and explained that I had paid it all off to the prev agent but all they wanted to know was if I would pay or not. I basically said to them I would not pay anything unless they could show me what this debt was for. They did not have any paperwork or proof of that I still owed this money. I then contacted the prev Agency who also didn’t have anything showing was this debt was for. I then contacted the issuer of the bank where the card was issued and they said they would send me statements that never arrived. I was in contact with the bank on 5 occasions and they still could not help. It all then went quiet, did not hear back from the bank or the debt collector so I thought ok they got it wrong and realised I had paid. But oh no how wrong was I – received a letter end of Oct 2011 from a new debt collecting agency chasing the same debt. And they just keep on saying I owe this money......So basically I have got debt collectors chasing me for a debt of£700 that no one can show I owe.
I feel as if I’m hitting my head on a brick wall all the time and not getting any help from anyone. What can I do? Is there anything I can do? I am not in a position to pay this as now unemployed again and even if I was surely the debt collecting agencies should be able to provide support for the money they want collecting...... Appreciate any input or help with this. Thank You

James Falla

Re: Debt no one can tell me what is it for......
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »
Hi Sussex Girl

The problem here lies with the origional creditor who clearly has not updated their records properly. They are the only people who can instruct a debt collector to chase you. My advise is therefore that you should contact the origional lender again and make a strong complaint. Confirm that the debt was paid off and demand that they send you confirmation in writing that the debt is paid and no further collection actions wil be undertaken. Tell them that if such a letter is not forthcoming you will make a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). The OFT are currently very keen to hear from anyone who is being incorrectly chased for debt that they do not owe.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

John Smith

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2012, 04:35:31 AM »
Hi Sussex Girl

Well when you got the first call they said you had 700 owing. When they rang again the amount had not risen to my knowledge, so... Just wait till you have enough money to pay them back at stat as such. But continue to ask what the debt is for as you do not want any banks ripping money from your hand without reason.

James Falla

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2012, 03:30:10 PM »
So let me get this straight John... Are you advising Sussex Girl to pay a debt that she does not owe? I am not sure that that is particularly good advice.....
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

Simon Wyllie

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
Hi Sussex Girl.

In common with James I'm sceptical about the advice provided by John Smith, something I have just written on another thread as well.

James Falla

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
I am not sure whether John Smith will be posting any more Simon. However it would be great to have your input if you have the time :) It is always good to get second opinions and different perspectives on things.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

Autono Mouse

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
Hi Sussex Girl
whatever you do, do not worry. Writing to each successive DCA saying 'I believe your claim is false... I have no contract with you... etc' and refer to the letter when they phone. And send them a bill attached for your time and effort dealing with the matter. also write to them stating that you will only communicate in writing and that you will report them (no need to say who to, and charge them a fee for having to report them) every time they call. If they do call you are highly justified in putting the phone down. You can do nothing else. It is for them to prove to you that you owe it, you have no obligation to these people. if they try to take you to court and have not supplied you with proof that you requested in writing you would merely need to write to the court with copies of the letters showing them to have no valid claim. it is not easy to do but get mentally tough with them, don't react to them make them react to you. They put stress on innocent people, ruthlessly, so give them a piece of your mind.

James Falla

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
Good advice from Autono Mouse. However to solve the problem once and for all Sussex Girl the origional creditor (or even the new owner of the supposed debt if it has been sold on) and get them to confirm that the debt is not owed and to call off the DCA. Otherwise this situation is simply going to keep happening.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com