Author Topic: Overseas Debt  (Read 693 times)

Poppa

Overseas Debt
« on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
Hi,

My wife moved here from Germany in June 2006. She left 'apparently' owing 113 Euros for a Gym membership. The first we heard was from a letter from Premium Collections Ltd that she owes 394.12 Euro's to a German debt collection agency. When we asked what it was for, they forwarded a statement from the German agency showing the original 113, plus a number of costs now totaling 259.45 euros. I am guessing they have 'sold' it to the UK agency, which is why it is now 394.12 euros.

As we had never heard of this debt from 2006 until last month, do we have to pay the amount asked for? Can we not just pay the original debt only? Any help or advice would be very appreciated, thanks. Richard

James Falla

Re: Overseas Debt
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »
Hi Richard

From what you are saying, the debt originates in Germany. It would be unusual for a UK debt purchaser to buy a debt originating in a different country so I would assume that Premium Collections has simply been contracted by the German company to collect the debt on their behalf. My expertise is based around debt originating in the UK and as such I am unfamilure with the insolvency rules in Germany and what your wife may or may not be liable for. However I would have to assume that if the debt is legitimate then the addition charges that have been added are also and as such she is unfortunately liable to pay everything.

Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com