Author Topic: I am useless with money and in the brown sticky stuff .....again !!  (Read 843 times)

Beat

Hi Folks,
I'm sure that my story is familiar and not in the least bit unusual.
I'm 55, unemployed and on Income support, incapacity benefit and D.L.A.
I have debts of around £10,000 and have been trying to sort things myself for about 18months now but am walking in soft sand at the moment ...... getting nowhere.

I have recently moved in with my girlfriend who is my registered carer, I have very few posessions, certainly nothing worth anything whatsoever, all has been sold to survive. I still have my car which was bought last year with the help of my parents and is worth around £1000, I live in a rural area and can't do without.
I am finding it impossible to cope with payments, and as a consequence have been taken to court,I  have a couple of CCJ's.
I have suffered since an early age with chronic anxiety and palpitations/atrial fibrilation and its getting worse ..... for my healths sake I feel that I would just be better off going the bankruptcy route, my resolve is failing quickly and I am becoming ill as a result ....... all brought about my inability to handle money.
I started a business in 1998, with a self styled "business Guru" as a partner in an attempt to work myself out of poverty in to a successful life style, I went bankrupt in 2000. I managed to pay off all my suppliers but not my bank.
Thats a brief account of my position and would appreciate any advice available before I go mad.
Thankyou for reading this.
Pete.       

James Falla

Hi there Pete

Sorry to hear about your situation. Given that you have a low income and no assets (other than your car) my suggesting is that you think about a debt relief order. You can find out more about the DRO solution [** sorry, no personal contact invitations allowed **]. Basically it works in the same way as bankruptcy but is designed for people on a low income and who have debts of less than £15k. The advantage is that the cost is £90 apposed to the £525 discounted bankruptcy fee you would otherwise have to pay.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com