Author Topic: MNBA Credit card from 1999?  (Read 1515 times)


  • *
  • Posts: 1
MNBA Credit card from 1999?
« on: Oct 04, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
I have recently been contacted by a debt collection agency within the UK, I live within the North East. They have rang quite a few times to chase up an old debt from a couple of years ago (Or so I thought)
I asked them to pop it in writing to me, and asked for the dates for it. The total was outstanding is £4500.00, but the guy kep ringing and ringing and eventually I said if you'll take £500 to clear it, and to my shock they said yes.
I have checked all my credit files and there is nothing showing as outstanding to them for this amount, although there are a few little bits on my file.
I have pushed them more today to see when it was from and found out its from 1999, an old credit card, which to honest I didn't know about.
1: Can they still chase for this debt, been told they can't which is why they readily accepted my phone offer to get them of the phone.
2: Been told unless I had put the £500 offer in writing then they cannot do anything.
3: Also if I now say I don't have it, can they now apply that to my credit rating as its from 1999
4: I have a few little debts which show on my file so would prefer to use the £500 to clear them, which I now have, and can these people now go for my home or any other means to reclaim the money from yrs ago?
Sorry but a bit desperate to know some answers, Cal

James Falla

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: MNBA Credit card from 1999?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
Hi there Cal.
Because you have made no payment towards this debt for 6 years it sounds to me as though it is now considered statute barred. This means that although the debt does still exist, the creditor can take no legal action to enforce it. What you have been told is slightly incorrect. The fact is that the creditor (or whom ever ownes the debt now) can still try to collect and can chase you for it. However they will be unable to take you to court or get a CCJ (ie take legal action). You therefore have two courses of action. Either simply ignore the the demands in the knowledge that they can do nothing to you or make the settlement payment and get them out of your hair for good. If you chose the latter route though, make sure you get their offer to accept a settlement of £500 in writing before handing over any cash.
Debt Expert & Author