Author Topic: Self Assesment Form for 08/09  (Read 1028 times)

oscar6161

Self Assesment Form for 08/09
« on: Aug 26, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »
Dear Forum,

I went through bankruptcy in March 09....having made an enquiry with the Inland Revenue regarding matters during 09/10 and 10/11 they have recently sent me a self assessment form for 08/09 stating that I didn't complete one for this year that they had sent to me.

I've only done some rough calculations for my income/expenses for that period but my questions are this: Do I have to complete this form legally as it deals with a period covered by the bankruptcy? Secondly, if it turns out that there was profit in that period and potentially tax owed, what is my position?

I thought this period of life was completed, the receipt of this form has opened up old wounds so any help greatly appreciated.

James Falla

Re: Self Assesment Form for 08/09
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »
Hi there oscar6161

I assume that you are talking about the 2008/09 tax year which finished in April 09 with the return due in Jan 10? If any tax in this year was due, it would certainly have owed at the time you were bankrupt and so would have been included in your bankruptcy.

To make sure this is sorted out, you should contact the official receiver who was dealing with your bankruptcy case and ask them their advice. They should have spoken to HMRC on your behalf at the time and is now the best personal to help you resolve any problems that are thrown up for that year.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

jonathan3880

Re: Self Assesment Form for 08/09
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2011, 05:19:32 AM »
Its really a great post. Keep it up.