Author Topic: Advice needed regarding credit cards  (Read 1806 times)

doingitagain71

Advice needed regarding credit cards
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
Hi
I declared bankruptcy back in September 2005 and was discharged in March 2006 (didn't have to pay anything).  I am going abroad soon by car and am concerned that I have no back up credit card if anything goes wrong.  I will only have the cash we take and my debit card.  Does anyone know of any companies that will offer credit cards on this basis with a small amount of credit? ??? ??  After bankruptcy we opened an account with co-op and have banked with them since.

Also I am on Incapacity Benefit and DLA so not employed...

Any advice greatly appreciated, but I assume it's hopeless.....

Debt Support Trust

Re: Advice needed regarding credit cards
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:08 AM »
Hi doingitagain71,

Thank you and welcome to the forum.

First of all hope you enjoy your trip.

I think you will find it hard to obtain a credit card as you are not working. The only company that comes to mind is Vanquis. Their interest rates are very high and I am not sure if they will give you a card or not. You could try and IF you get one then make sure if you use it to pay off balance ASAP. 

If you have any spare money set aside then why don't you consider getting one of the Pre-paid Cards that are available in case you need it for an emergency.

Hope this helps

Andy
Qualified Debt Adviser
www.debtsupporttrust.org.uk

James Falla

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
Hi doingitagain71

Given that you were discharged in 2006, the record of your bankrutcy will not come off your credit file until 2012 (6 years after i was added). As such, I think you may find it difficult to get a credit card at this stage. Why not have a chat to Co-Op as you are banking with them and they can see your banking record over the past few years which might help. If they refuse you can always ask them what criteria you will need to meet to be accepted in the future.

Andy makes a good suggestion about a pre-paid card. If you get a pre-paid Visa card, you will have to pay for it but at least it will give you the back up card you require for emergencies
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

michelle2011

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »
I think that the pre-paid card may be your only option. It may be for the best as well. That way you are not overspending on your holiday. ;)

jazzalbart

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »
 The world of credit cards is complex, and there are a number of ways to accept them as payment — some of which require different types of hardware and software, and relationships with banks. And no doubt, it is also a great approach to make credit card processing simple through interactive websites.