Author Topic: ccj court date missed / change of address  (Read 1237 times)


  • *
  • Posts: 1
ccj court date missed / change of address
« on: Apr 10, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
Hi wonder if anyone can help?

Having moved out of my last house and having a change in my circumstances I have forgotten to pay the rates on a commercial property. But have also forgotten to change my billing address etc.

My ex landlady has just popped a load of mail, mostly junk, off to me that contained a summons notice to pay the rates in full.

I have just been given it, its was sent in January asking me to attend a hearing. But as I have not known about it I have obviously not attended. Theres no other letters attaining to this since.

Can I just call up and pay the thing off or what is the usual proceedure etc etc???

Obviously concerned

Also the notice is for the full years rates, however, I am sure that I have made some electronic payments towards them last year and thus shouldnt need to pay the full payments etc

James Falla

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 655
Re: ccj court date missed / change of address
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
Hi Ross
Were the rates on the commercial property in your name or the name of a limitied company that you were running? If in your name then you are personally responsible for the debt. This being the case, whether or not a CCJ was issued you can simply call the council and pay off the debt. If you believe that you have made some payments electronically you should be able to prove this with bank statements if the payments are queried.
One word of warning, if a CCJ was issued against you, then unfortunately this will be listed on your credit file for six years and will make it more difficult or you to get credit during that time. You can check this by getting a copy of your credit file. 
Debt Expert & Author