Author Topic: Mackenzie Hall .. Personal Matter!  (Read 3834 times)

Anouk1103

Mackenzie Hall .. Personal Matter!
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:16:31 PM »
Evening all,

I have received a letter from Mackenzie Hall, attempting to [** sorry, no personal contact invitations allowed **] regarding a personal matter .. I've Googled and it appears this is a regular occurence.

Long story short, when I was 16, I was abandoned by my family, with nothing. The council rehomed me, gave me a loan for basic needs (which I paid back) and I also took out a Littlewoods Catalogue account. I was 16, didn't know about council tax (What 16 year old does?) I worked 37.5 hours a week and could barely afford to eat. I shouldn't have taken out the Littlewoods account but I truly believed I could afford it and obviously they did too. I never spent more than £250 and I moved house and just didn't pay it. Not becuase I thought I could get away with it, but because keeping a roof over my head and paying a huge Council tax debt of £2200 was more important at the time.

Anyhow, so over 13 years later, it appears that this has reared it's ugly head and Mackenzie Hall are after money - it's the ONLY thing I defaulted on.

I've just registered with Equifax and taken my credit report which shows that I'm up to date with all creditors, that Mackenzie Hall did a search on me within the last few weeks and that I have nothing in my 'Gone away' file.

I've obviously read up various forums and most say to send a letter NOT acknowledging the debt and asking for proof of this debt with various acts written over the letter too. If they send me proof (which looks highly unlikely) Must I pay it? Or does the fact that it's over twice the 6 years limitation count in my favour. My life is completely different now, I have 2 part time jobs, and 2 small children and can little afford to have to throw money away like this.

Thanks

James Falla

Re: Mackenzie Hall .. Personal Matter!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
Hi there

It sounds as though this debt could well be statute barred. This would be the case if Littlewoods have not tried to collect the money owed for more than 6 years. The problem is that they may have done so, its just they have been trying to collect at the last know address they have for you.

If you do receive proof of the debt then I am afraid that it will still exist even if it is statute barred. However, if this is the case, no legal action can be taken against you to collect the debt and yo can simply make minimum installments each month until it is paid.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

Anouk1103

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
Thanks James,

That's what I've read all over the web. I've moved around quite a bit really, at the time of the debt, I lived in London. At age 17, I moved to Nottinghamshire, at 19, I moved to Cambridgeshire and basically haven't lived at any address for longer than 2 years (I have always privately rented so never really settled roots) I've lived at my current address (still in Cambridgeshire) for 5 months and this is the first time I've been contacted. I looked at my credit file and I saw that Mackenzie Hall had done a search on me in January 2011, another search was done in June 2009 by Natwest when I joined my partners bank account. But nothing else in the last 6 years? I've always added myself onto the Electoral Register whenever I've moved so it's not like I'm trying to hide. But if I could use the law in order to not pay it, it would be helpful given that I have 2 small children.

All of this though, if I have to pay it, then I will ..

James Falla

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »
Hi there,

On reflection, if Mackenzie Hall have not specifically contacted you regarding payment for a specific debt, then I would simply ignore them. If they then contact you again specifically stating that they believe you owe money, then would be the time to ask them for written poof of the debt stating that it does not appear on your credit file.

Ultimately if this came back to your satisfaction then I suggest that you should make arrangements to pay or settle the debt. I am sure a settlement would be possible if you can get a lump sum together.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

Anouk1103

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
Hi again,

I've just received another letter, this time detailing the debt - Littlewoods - as I suspected, for £345.95.

They have given me a deadline of February 4th, noon, to pay otherwise they will not hesitate to take further action.

Now, given that it doesn't show up on my credit report, can I write that 'statute barred' letter to them? Should I email it given the time frame they've given me?

James Falla

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Hi there

It can't hurt to write the letter. I would e-mail it and post a hard copy. However, even if the debt is confirmed as statute barred, then it does not mean that the debt is written off. It simply means that legal action can not be taken against you for the debt's collection. Are you a homeowner? If not, then there is actually very little action that can be taken against you. However, unless you always want it hanging over you I would suggest making an arrangement to pay the debt off in small monthly instalments is the right thing to do.   
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

JohnSmith2011

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »
ask them for a signed credit agreement. the majority of catalogue companies wont have kept hold of it for this amount of time. even if they have it will be hidden away in a dusty stroreroom somewhere!