Author Topic: strange banking behaviour?  (Read 1459 times)

DAVEREA

strange banking behaviour?
« on: Feb 16, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »
Hi, I made a decision to default on an overdrawn current account and also on flexi-loan payments awhile ago. HSBC took me to county court and arrangements were made for me to pay back what they said I owed on a monthly basis.

i won't go into detail about what prompted me to "default" other then i desputed what I owed at that time.

Anyway, during the repayment order a mysterious sum of £600 was paid by HSBC. Thier acting solicitors, DG in effect told me not to look a gift horse in the mouth!  Bearing in mind that the current account was closed due to the default status, where did this money come from? It was obviously MY money to beguin with... I can get no answers at all.

Has anyone had or heard about such a situation?

solvent

Re: strange banking behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »
Well, that's a very nice gesture!

DAVEREA

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
Well, that's a very nice gesture!

Yes but I can't help but think it rubs salt into the wounds, in that IF this £600 was indeed my money and NOT some sort of monopoly "banking error in your favour" then there would of been no need for any CC action in the first instance.

shocksoc335

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
I suppose I would still want to know where its come from albeit very nice!
Supporting 'Practical Debt Advice' by Elizabeth Mc

James Falla

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
Hi Daverea

It sounds like a bonus but I agree with Shocksoc, I would press to try and find out where the money has come from and why HSCB has paid it into your account. If it is an error, these things have a nasty way of coming back to bite you and it may be clawed back or added to your outstanding debt when you least expect it.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

L-E-E

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
a relative was recently contacted by Lloyd's to advise that if she did not contact them about an account they held in her name then the balance would be cancelled as it had been inactive for such a long period. The balance was £1300 so, In spite if having no recollection of this, off she went with some ID and after some checks the money was transferred to her active current account with Lloyd's. 3 months later they wrote to her advising that a MR *** had asked why she had cleared his account of any funds and upon futher investigation she had no link to this money. She was then advised that the money will be removed from her account and paid back to MR ***!!!!

She was given £50 for her troubles in the end!

Banks eh!

James Falla

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
That is an interesting one Lee. But it just serves to show that Banks do make mistakes (quite a few every year if you add them all together) and the most prudent thing if you come acros something like this is to return the money to the bank. Or, if they will not take it, stash it away in a savings account ready to pay back if and when.

I am also constantly amazed at how many people never check their bank account statements and never pick things like this up. My advice is always to check through your bank statement each month. You may well be surprised at what you find....
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com