Author Topic: Bankruptcy court costs  (Read 1356 times)

doingitagain71

Bankruptcy court costs
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
Hi

Thinking about declaring myself bankrupt for a second time.....last time both me and my wife declared separate bankruptcy at the same time.  This time it's just me on my own (I'm still with my wife).  I am only in receipt of DLA and Incapacity Benefit, (my wife gets the Child Tax Credits, Child Benefit, DLA and Incapacity Benefit).  We receive full housing benefit and council tax benefit but don't receive Income Support.  I was wondering if anyone knew if I would have to pay the court costs £150 when declaring bankruptcy.  I know I have to pay OR £450.  It will take ages to save the whole £600 by which time I could've been taken to court by creditors   :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(   

James Falla

Re: Bankruptcy court costs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
Hello there

You should be able to claim for relief from the court costs. This is actually £240 of the total £600 so you may be able to get a considerable saving. You should give your local court a call and confirm this with them and ask them to post you through an application form for the associated relief.

How much do you owe? If your total debt is less than £15,000, given your income is made up entirely of benifits you might well be eligable for a debt relief order which would only cost £90 to implement. More info about this solution can be found on the [** sorry, no personal contact invitations allowed **].

If a DRO is not for you, then while you are saving the money you require for bankruptcy, I would not worry too much about action that your creditors take against you. Any court action will all be overturned when you declare bankrutpcy.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

poppy2011

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »
Hi All,

I live in scotland and I have around £50,000 pounds worth of debt...I am now on a low income and I have no assets whatsoever so I can't afford to pay anything to any plan....So I know I have to go down the sequestrian road and I am going to the CAB Today to get the form I was told about and pay the £100 fee etc...

What i wanted to ask was that all my creditors have my ex partners address obviously we split up and I am now staying with a friend and all my mail is being redirected to my friends house. So what I am worried about is that once I submit the sequestrian paperwork will my creditors start showing up at my ex's house etc....do they try and get baliffs involved etc...sorry as I am unsure about this...any help and advice is much appreciated..!!!

Kind Regards

Poppy

James Falla

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Hi Poppy

It sounds as though sequestration is the best route for you. Remember that to go down that route at least one of your creditors must have started legal action against you.

You do not need to worry about your creditors turing up at your ex's house. Once you have submitted the sequestration paperwork the process is fairly quick and your creditors will not be able to chase you for the debt any longer.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com