Author Topic: Seperated 2 years but who owns the debts  (Read 676 times)

Seperated 2 years but who owns the debts
« on: Dec 04, 2010, 01:40:13 PM »
My partner seperated from his wife approx 2.5 yrs ago.  They agreed at the time that he would take one card debt and she would take a catalogue debt.
A year later he met me and she kicked off and decided to sell the house.  The house is now being sold and he is wanting his share of the equity - its only 11K between them but he had paid the mortgage for 14 years and left the house with only his clothes and his push bike!
She is going nuts saying that since they split up, she has taken out a 25K loan off her parents and he needs to pay it!  She is also saying he is greedy etc although she has kept everything in the house.
We suspected she was running up debts as she was always wearing the nicest clothes, partying and having holidays who is responsible for the debts since they split up?
I would also like to add that in the first six months of their seperation, she was taking £1700 off him out of his wages and handing him £400 a month to live on as his wages were still going into a joint bank account.
Then for a period of time after he got his own bank account, he paid her £1300 a month which by estimation is £300 for his share of the mortgage and the CSA  state £440 a month for his three kids.  so what did she do with the £560 a month he paid her over the odds?
WE have estimated that he has paid her approx 11K more than he he was legally bound to during their seperation, so can she force him to take half her debt when they get divorced?

James Falla

Re: Seperated 2 years but who owns the debts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:30:23 AM »
Hi there amartin1908
Are any of the credit card or catalogue accounts your partner's ex has been using still in his name? If so then he is legally responsible for these debts what ever happens. If this is the case, he should cancel the account or dectivate it asap to stop her spending more on it. However, as for his responsibility for paying debt she has taken in her name alone, this is is a question that you will have to ask a family lawyer about.
Debt Expert & Author