Author Topic: Rent Arrears (Advice Needed)  (Read 576 times)

feral87

Rent Arrears (Advice Needed)
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
Hi, I'm currently having problems with my landlord (private) due to rent arrears stratching back 4 months.

In total I owe £1120, £290 per month. I am living under a joint tenancy with 2 other people who are up to date with their rent payments. At the beggining of the week I got a first visit from my landlord, asking why it hadnt been paid and saying I had til the end of the month to pay the full amount, or he would start the eviction process.

Before the visit I was planning on paying back what I owe weekly (i make about £100-£200 a week), but when I offered this he said it's not good enough. Obviously I don't want to be evicted, my housemates cannot lend the money as they are just about making ends meet themselves.

Originally I entered the contract as a student but as I dropped out of University I am no longer entitled to my student loan and bursary. I think on my contract I am down as a student occupant however am paying council tax.

I MIGHT be able to borrow £600 from a close friend but this is no longer looking likely.

I've been looking into claiming housing benefit but not sure if this is going to be enough, soon enough.

I was wondering what options I have available, and how the eviction process would work considering the joint tenancy agreement with my 2 housemates.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is causing me a huge deal of stress and worry.

James Falla

Re: Rent Arrears (Advice Needed)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »
Hi feral87

Unfortunately your options are relatively limited. If you cannot come to an arrangement with your landlord, then I suggest that he is utimately entitled to ask you to leave the property. To get further advice about where you and the other tennants stand legally, it might be sensible to make an appointment to see your local CAB. You may have some options given the other tennants are up to date with their portion of the rent that they could explain to you.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com