Author Topic: I've already been bankrupt, now its my partners turn, advice needed please...  (Read 1414 times)

confused_one

Hello all, I am hoping to gain some credible advice from this site as I have been trawling the internet but its making me confused and it is virtually impossible to get an appointment at my local C.A.B.
My partner and I are not married but we do live together.  At the time we met I had been bankrupt officially for approx six months. My 1 year term ended last may but I am now facing problems again due to not being able to get work quick enough.  My partner accrued his debt due to his work drying up during the recession.  He is self employed but works through a company for all his work.  His debts are approx £8000 and we can see no way of ever clearing them even though we have been trying for nearly 2 years to get back to normal.  He is now being threatened with bankruptcy due to a large tax bill and we are preparing for him to go through the bankruptcy procedure. 
My query is that one of the bills I have is for a water company.  Even though it is in my name, we both live at the address so to my mind, it is us who owe.  Is it possible to deal with this debt (nearly £700) in my partners bankruptcy.  I suspect not as it is not in his name but as we live together I am not sure where we stand on this one.

I look forward to your advice.
Many thanks

Steven Jackson

Hello

The answer to your question is really quite straight forward. The bottom line is if a debt is in your name alone, it can not be included in any third party's bankruptcy. As such the water bill in your name can not be included in your partner's bankruptcy. I know this may sound unfair as you have both used the water however, this is the way the law stands.

It would be exactly the same if you had taken a credit card in your name and given your partner a card. They then spent up to the limit. You would still be held 100% responsible for the debt and would still be liable for it even if they declared bankrutpcy.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com

confused_one

I suspected this but I needed it to be confirmed, many thanks for the sound advice x

debt-buster

I agree with Steve, if you live in lambeth then you would be eligible for free advice and assistance under the Lambeth Debt Project.

Steven Jackson

Hi again confused-one. I just wanted to point out that despite what leo103 said your partner does not need to take any further advice from anyone if he does not need to. Given you have been bankrupt in the past, you should be able to help him complete the forms etc. However, if you feel that you do need help, you should speak to a personal debt expert who will be able to advise on all the ins and outs. There are plenty of us available even if you do not live in Lambeth :)
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com