Author Topic: Paying an old CCJ  (Read 5341 times)

Fitz2

Paying an old CCJ
« on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
Hello All!

I am new here and want to say hello to everyone!

I would like to pay off (in full) an old CCJ that has been lodged with Northampton CCBC. I have the judgement/case number. How do I do it?

I did try to look on their website but wasn't getting anywhere.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.

Fitz2

Steven Jackson

Re: Paying an old CCJ
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
Hello Fitz2

If you want to clear a CCJ, the only way to do it is pay the debt with the original creditor or the creditor who now owns the debt if it has been sold on. Do you know who the original credtor is? If you do, then you should contact them. If not, you can get a copy of your credit file from Experian or Equifax and this will tell you.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com

Fitz2

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
Hi Steven

Thanks for your reply.

On my credit report it just has the court name (Northampton) and the case number - nothing else. So, I do not even know who has the original debt?

Fitz2

Steven Jackson

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »
Then I think your best bet is to contact the Court at Northampton and ask the for a copy of the judgement. If you have the reference this should not be a problem although they will probably charge you for the privilege...... My advice is to call them up and speak to someone. I always find this is the best way of getting things done.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com

Fitz2

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
That's great. Thank you.

Steven Jackson

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
No problem at all. Let us know how you get on.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com

Fitz2

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »
One more question please Steven, if that is okay?

Once I have managed to pay the original collectors (or whomever) and sent off for my certificate of satisfaction - how long will the CCJ show on my credit report? Will it be from the date of satisfaction or from the court date? Also, how long will it take to update my credit report to show satisfaction?

Thank you!

Steven Jackson

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »
Hi there

Generally speaking a CCJ should remain on your credit file for 6 years from the date it was granted. However, if it remains unpaid for longer than this, the record of the debt will still remain and the creditor can continue adding statutory interest of 8% per year. Once you have satisfied the debt, the fastest way to get your credt file updated is to ask the origional creditor to send you written confirmation of the satisfaction. Then you can send a copy of this to the credit reference agencies. That way you are in more control of the process.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com