Author Topic: Santander car finance  (Read 1151 times)


  • *
  • Posts: 1
Santander car finance
« on: Aug 27, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
Hi there

Hoping I can get some advice on here. 4 years ago I took out financethrough a garage to finance my car, I have paid most of it off, wasabout 7,000, now only 1,000 left. I have missed the last cpl of monthspayments as lost my job.

Had letter from santander saying they were charging me etc and woulddefault me. I have spoken to them a few times but dont get anywherewith them.

I phoned up today again to pay this months payment and arrange to paythe back money due, which is approx 250, and the woman on the phone washorrible! I was put through to Code red, whoever they are, who saidthat santander had passsed my details to them and that basically shewouldnt accept payment for this month and that I would either have topay the whole 1,000 left or give them back the car.

I am gutted and flumaxxed! I need my car for work and am trying hard tocome to a solution with them, but they seem stuck on taking me to courtif I dont pay the full whack, which I cant do right now.

Can someone advise me?      


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 12
Re: Santander car finance
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
Do you have a credit card ? You could take one out that gives a good deal on purchases , say one that offers 0% for 12 months , then pay off the debt with this , cut up the card , make a direct debit to pay the £1000 back over the 12 months at which is about £83.333333 per month ,

Steven Jackson

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 281
Re: Santander car finance
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
Hello eeyore9
Given that you are nearing the end of your finance agreement, it is unlikely that santander wl be able to repossess the car without a court order. They definitely do not want to go down that route. My advice is to continue making your payments as normal. Call Santander again and see if you can speak to a different operator. If you get the same treatment I suggest you threaten that you will report them to the OFT (office of fair trading) for their treatment of you. This will generally get them to see sense.
Debt Expert