Author Topic: urgent help needed  (Read 860 times)


  • *
  • Posts: 1
urgent help needed
« on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
Need urgent help. My partner went bankrupt last year, and due to this  I am now being chased for outstanding school fees of £5000. Due to the stresses of finances we split, and i'm now on benefits.
I was chased earlier this year for the 5k. I burried my head in the sand and they got a ccj against me and took it to high court enforcement, and a bailiff arrived. Only then I realised I had to do something about this. I aplied to the the court to challenge the ruling and it was put back to county court. I have hearing coming up but now having seen the evidence against me, i'm certain of the ruling going against me. I'm terrified of the bailoff coming back as he was really nasty to me. I initailly put forms into court to go not guilty on case, but realising now that its likely to be ruled against me, is the anything i can do to get a monthly payment ruling, ie what I can afford per month. I cannnot afford 5k but can offer a small amount each month. If so what do i do and is it likely to be accepted as i'm now benefits now until I get on my feet again..
Any advice very apprec as feel so low and worried.

Steven Jackson

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 281
Re: urgent help needed
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:53:38 AM »
Hi there Julie
I guess that the origional school fees debt must have been in joint names with your partner and so you are jointly liable to pay it?
My advise to you is you should go to the court hearing and explain the situation to the judge. Then confirm that you can not afford to pay the debt in full but are able to make monthly payments towards it.
Before you go to court, you should complete an income and expenditure statement. List all your monthly living expenses and take them away from your income. The amount remaining is called disposable income and this is what you can use to pay back your debt.
Even if the amount is very small (even just a few pounds) you should make an effort to pay this. The best thing you can possibly do is start to make payments even before the court hearing. This will show the judge that you mean what you say and you are doing your best to repay the debt.
Debt Expert