Author Topic: Trouble with credit card - please read/help  (Read 862 times)

Niteeyez

Trouble with credit card - please read/help
« on: Jun 21, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »
Hi Guys

Bit of a lengthy problem here. Last year i was living at home (im 29), having returned from a divorce and i was paying my debts more comfortably (due to low rent with living at home). Unfortuantely my Mum was diagnosed temrinal and passed within 5 weeks and i had a find a new place to live, very quickly and also the cost(s) inherent with this upheaval were Huge. Now i had 4 credit cards (Aqua, Bardclay, Egg, Mint). I wrote to all 4 and explained the sitaution and all 4 allowed me to make reduced payments (and cancelled the cards). Unfortunately Aqua sent me a bill recently that wasnt for the £30 i usually pay, but £250 (x 8 my normal payments). I phoned them and they basically said that the agreement was only for 12 months and that whilst they agreed to let me make reduced paytments they were actually charging me multiple defaults each month (without me knowing). This is £144 in itself.

My question is, can they do this. they said i can make reduced paymnets to help me out, but this hasnt actually helped me, as unbeknown to me they're just charging wilfully and have it me with it now. There was no mention of this on the paerwork they sent me. I have also found out that they have slammed 12 default notices on my credit report as well. what can i do??

Steven Jackson

Re: Trouble with credit card - please read/help
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2010, 06:19:15 PM »
Hello Niteeyes

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately what the Aqua card have done is within their rights. They are allowed to agree a reduced payment plan with you but they are also allowed to continue to add interest and late payment charges. Have they continued to send you monthly statements? If so, the charges would have been showing on these each month.

Can I ask you how much you owe in total and how much if anything you think you can afford to repay toall of your creditors together each month? If you let us have this info, I am sure we will be able to advise you further.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com