Author Topic: How long does it take the letters stop?  (Read 6679 times)

Boromoor

Re: How long does it take the letters stop?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
That's really why I posted it, it's no fun being chased by debt collectors but there is light at the end of the tunnel.  One thing I decided, after months of being terrified of answering my 'phone and receiving threatening letters ORDING me to "call immediately" was, that all I owe these guys was money, not contol of my life.  I'd gone out of business owing about £70,000 to quite a few creditor and was getting calls from all of them which was confusing.  I wrote to every one of them and told them I wasn't prepared to discuss the matter on the telephone as I wanted a written record of everthing that was said so don't telephone me again.  They didn't like it but they had to accept it, I wasn't refusing to talk to them. A couple of them phoned a few times but I'm a bit of a "Victor Meldrew"  and told them to go and read the letter again then hung up on them, they soon got the message.  The way I see it, nobody gets into serious debt on purpose but when you do get in trouble some of these companies make you feel like you like you should live in sack cloth and ashes until you pay off the debt.

Steven Jackson

Re: How long does it take the letters stop?
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »
That is a great post Boromoor. It is always a help to other people in debt to read about other people's situations and importantly how they have dealt with them to ultimately resolve the situation and get back in control.

Particularly interesting to read how things started to get better for you from the moment you decided to take action however painful that decision was. Many people I have worked with over the years have tended to bury their head in the sand at first and invariably this simply makes matters worse in the longer term. Taking action is the key to resolving a debt problem in my book.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com