Author Topic: deed of trust  (Read 2434 times)

keady

deed of trust
« on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:01:25 PM »
I really need some advice.I am on the verge of considering bankruptcy,my only concern is that myself my brother and sister are named on a deed of trust on our parents home.Both of my parents live in the house, which is to come to the three of us when they pass away.If i declare myself bankrupt what implications does the deed of trust have.I cannot put my parents home at jeopardy but i am desperate for a way out debt.
Many thanks :(

Sovereign

Re: deed of trust
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2010, 12:27:28 PM »
Hi Keady. Are you in the UK?
Sovereign Consulting

keady

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »
Hello
yes I am in the U.K.
Thanks

adria82

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
Hey there,

You share of property would be taken off by the court if you declare bankruptcy.

Sovereign

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
Hi Keady,

Ignore that post by Adria. That may well be the case but more information is needed. Is the trust created by a will of a deceased person who has granted a life tenancy to your parents or do the three of you own the house a tenants in common and you all allow your parents to live there?

Alternatively, are you saying that the three of you will be left the house in your parents will?

Please clarify.

Steve
Sovereign Consulting

keady

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Hello Steve,
Thanks for replying.The property is an ex council house that was bought for £15000.My brother sister and myself put up the money, but I assume the house is in my parents name as they were the council tenants.As I said, the property is to come to us when they pass away, although I'm not exactly sure of the wording of the Deed of Trust.I could try to get some more information if you need it,but I didn't want to unduly worry my elderly parents by asking for a look at the Deed at the moment if I don't need to.Apologies for being so vague.
Thanks again for your time and advice.

Sovereign

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »
Thanks Keady, now I have a much better understanding of your position. You have a positive interest in that property and should you declare yourself BR then the receiver will place a restriction on the property and may force a sale in time. He will first of all give your brother and sister or indeed your parents the opportunity to buy out your interest in the property.

How much debt (unsecured) do you have. There are other options open to you other than BR.

Steve
Sovereign Consulting

keady

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2010, 06:42:38 PM »
Thanks again Steve,none of my family could afford to buy my share for its market value (about £20 - 25,000).If i sold my share to my brother for my original investment £5000 and paid off one of my cards this could possibly delay for now the need for me to go bankrupt.Would this  be an option and would this be considered o.k. if I did still end up having to go bankrupt in say a year or twos time?
Thanks again for your time.

Sovereign

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
Hi Keady,

Here is where it gets very difficult for you in BR. The Official Receiver will ask whether you have an interest in a property. The answer is unequivocally 'yes'. He will also ask if you have transferred or sold a property in the last FIVE years. If you have, he will want full details and should the transaction be considered undervalue, as it would be if you sold your share to your brother for £5k, then he will overeturn that transaction.

BR is not an option for you because of your interest in that property. You will lose it.

You should look at a simple Debt Management Plan.

Steve
Sovereign Consulting

keady

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 06:50:04 PM »
Thanks again Steve for your time and advice.It has all been very helpful and informative.Having read all of your advice I think I am going to have to try and dig myself out of the hole I've gotten myself into.I really do appreciate all your help.
Many Thanks once again.

Sovereign

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »
No problem Keady. All the best :)
Sovereign Consulting