Author Topic: Can a crditor sell a debt while it is in dispute?  (Read 2500 times)

GS120

Can a crditor sell a debt while it is in dispute?
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »
Hi Everyone

I have an account with a credit card company who have registered Default in my credit file and sent me the DN letter one week later. They then sold the debt ten days after they issued the DN letter.

1. Does registering DN with credit reference agencies mean they have terminated the account?
Does this mean they have terminated the account unlawfully?
My aim is to send the account back to the credit card company.
Can you please refer me to a case law regarding this?

2. Is it illegal for lenders to sell a debt while it is in dispute. I had a dispute with the credit card company (can prove it) but they sold the debt to DCA during the complaint. Is there any documents or case laws about this?

3. Please tell me if a debt to a credit card company can be sold only 10 days after it is issued? I have been told that a debt can be sold any time. Do you know of any case laws re. this?
I know by law they must allow at least 14 days before terminating and court actions etc.
Does registering Dafault on Credit File mean that they have terminated the account?

4. Can a debt be sold while it is in dispute? The credit card company had promised to waive the interests since I lost my job ( I have phone calls recorded) but later refused and sold the debt on. There is also the unfair charges plus the interests on those charges.

5. If I prove in court the debt was in dispute and the DCA should not have taken court action, do I still get judgement (CCJ)?

Many thanks