Author Topic: council tax removal of goods from bailiff  (Read 1547 times)

Homer 71

council tax removal of goods from bailiff
« on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
I have a debt with the council tax yesterday (8/03/10) a bailiff put a letter through my door it stated i owed a Balance of £558 and i had 24hr to contact him and pay in full I can't do this but i 've just come off the phone with him having offered to pay £150 today and the balance next friday he refused this saying i had to pay in full by 17.30 (10/03/10) is this the usual treatment he states i've already been contacted twice which i have no recollection of. Is it worth me speaking to my local council or has it gone long past that. Also he told me the removal van and police were booked for the removal of goods can i prevent the bailiff from enterering my property. I know this is my responsibility but any help will be gratefully recieved.

bankruptcy.co.uk

Re: council tax removal of goods from bailiff
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »
1) Remember this, a bailiff is like a vampire, they can only enter you property if you let them in (even just to use the toilet or get in out of the rain... which is their usual excuse). Once you let them in the first time, legally they are then allowed to use force. Therefore, DO NOT under any circumstance allow them inside.
2) However... Bailiffs are a law unto themselves, and can just add charges on willy nilly for anything they like. So therefore sorting out the problem is something you need to do quickly. (I know this isn't much help but sadly it is true).
3) The moment the council orders bailiff action they lose interest completely and just fob off your enquiries to the bailiff company so unfortunately you are correct in stating that it has gone past this.
4) He is lying about the removal van and definitely lying about the police. Unless he gains entry to your property and takes a "Levy" of your property he cannot gain entry.
5) HOWEVER, if the bailiff has passed this on to the high court/criminal court, in theory they can gain a judgement that allows legal entry into your property (I believe it is a high court judgement). You should ask the bailiff to show you proof of this judgement rather than just allow him to make empty threats.
6) If theoretically you moved the goods that are yours and are levied outside of your property... No one could take them! :) (Hypothetically speaking of course). 
7) Just a nice to note.... Bankruptcy writes off predated council tax arrears.... Maybe something to consider?

From the heart, best of luck.

Raphael Gilbert
Raphael Gilbert
Head of Insolvency Divison www.ban