Author Topic: Dealing with creditors  (Read 6748 times)

tiger

Dealing with creditors
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »
New to this so hope someone can help. I have spoken to someone who recommended this site for advice.

I have like lots of people got into trouble with debt. All non secured credit cards.
I could be in a position to pay off most, if they offer a favourable redemption figure.
There are a couple of things I have been told and want to confirm if these are correct. Some of my debts have been passed to collection agencies. When I write to them, I have been told I should ask them to provide several items to me.
1. Original copy of my signed agreement with credit card company.
2. A full breakdown of how the debt is made up; interest and chages etc.
3. A copy of the letter of assignment from the agency, which shows them authority to handle the debt.

Also can I insist that they do not keep phoning me and correspond in writing only ?

I am currently going through seperation from my wife. She knows about my debts, and has seen some of the threatening letters from the collection agencies. She is worried that one day a baliff will be knocking on the door, as the letters say this is what might happen.
I have tried to calm her, but she is very worried.

Can anyone give advice on a 'solvency agreement'. ?

Many thanks.

DayDay

Re: Dealing with creditors
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2008, 04:28:40 PM »
In 2003 l defaulted a Abbey National student account (£4400). This account was then sold to Mackenzie Hall. On my credit files Abbey National has defaulted the account and written that l have gone away from the address that account was registered to. I also noticed that on the 13/03/2008 Mackenzie Hall carried out a search on my credit file without my permission, lm sure this is how they got hold of my new address. 5 years later (14 March 2008) Mackenznie Hall has now written to me stating that they have been attemping to contact myself regarding a personal matter and have asked me to contact them immediately. I have never made contact with Mackenzie. They went on to state in their letter that they have a reason to believe that l now reside at my present address and if however l am not the person their looking for, if l could provide information of the whereabouts of the person they are looking they will be grateful.

Do you think they have finally caught up with me or they are trying to findout if its really me?
Should l ignore the letter and see how futher they will take it?
As it was a student account am l still liable for any payments?

Is there anyway l could avoid paying this debt?

cuteadder

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
They can not keep phoning you! it's harresment from the debtors - illegal... check that out!

Also, come to a agreement with your wife were she gets everything and you get all the debt..

It'll go that way any and she may be able to help you later on... if you stay friends with her...

kt

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »
ok you guys have all spent this money im guessing?? so you have all used money that is not yours! and if you got money off a friend you wouldnt see if there was a way you could get out of paying it would you?! so why just because you borrowed off a company is it different? And as for the calls they can ring LEGALLY 4times A DAY and there is nothing you can do about it. if you didnt want to steal money and not pay  back then you wouldnt have this problem in the first place. Its a joke how much people take the piss with money and paying back what you have spent and not yours. people dont really no what there talking about on here

kt

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2008, 09:26:44 PM »
also its not the collectors jobs to do all the chasing for people trying to get out of paying. If you want the proof go get it dont ask for it coz they dont care. if they did that for every person who claims it 'not there debt' then they would never get anything. Its going to get to a point where no1 will be able to borrow anything because no1 can be trusted to pay back..

Big Spender

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2008, 12:06:38 PM »
I think you're on the wrong Forum KT.

While what you say is essentially correct, your words of wisom are wasted here.

Readers of this forum are looking for advice, not abuse.

jcd01

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »
You really have no need to be worried! It isn't nice - but there are still rules and regulations that all creditors and debt collectors/bailiffs have to follow, so you are completely protected.

All the best!