Author Topic: help with agent  (Read 1444 times)

therose

help with agent
« on: Feb 25, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
I have been receiving letters from a collection agent, who is acting on behalf of another collection agent, in respect to £50 i apparently owed Orange phones in 2002, Whilst i did have a contract with Orange this contract ended at the end of the 12 month agreement and i never had and letters etc to say i owed anything.

In November last year a default appeared on my credit file for £50, I had no warning of this at all, I rang the agent and told them as far as I'm aware i do not owe this money, but if they would remove the default i would pay the £50. I was Told "you are in no position to negotiate so pay or else!!!"

I then sent a recorded letter with £1 asking them for:

a copy of the alleged agreement,

a signed true copy and certificate of default notice

and deed of assignment if the debt was sold on.

Today i have received a letter saying "Please be advised that as this debt is not under the CCA we are not obliged to supply any agreement. They have cashed the cheque and reduced the balance by £1.

What do i do now.

smallville

Re: help with agent
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
I think the best way to approach this would be to contact Orange and try to work out how they decided you owed this £50 debt they then sold on to debt collectors. If you contact Orange initially they may provide you with the information you need without cost, but if they will not you can make a Data Subject Access request which would mean they were obliged by the Data Protection Act to provide you with the information you request (though they can request a £10 fee, which is why I'd suggest just asking them initially).

Once you have Orange's information about your account this will hopefully prove that this £50 was never owed, which should mean that the debt can be written off and you can request the default be removed from your credit file.

Hope this helps.