Author Topic: Help! im in debt with no income....  (Read 5647 times)

blitztobeauty

Help! im in debt with no income....
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
hi

can somebody please give me some advice!?

i took a contract phone out from o2... and after a few months of owning it i could not afford to keep it, so i told o2 my situation, they cancelled the contract leaving me with £680 of debt to be payed.

when i took the contract phone from o2 i was unemployed.... so technicaly o2 shouldnt have let me take the phone without an income.

to skip to the point, the debt was then forwaded to a company called Buchananclark + wells. ( debt collecters )
this company is threatening me with taking legal action if the debt is not payed. im now currently employed, recieving job seekers allowance. my income is around £70 every 2 weeks. and every 2 weeks buchananclark + wells want a minimum payment of £30. leaving me with £40 to last another 2 weeks. they will not reason with me and im struggling to find a way around this.

i just wish o2 hadnt let me take the contract phone out when i was unemployed.
help and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks Guys
 :-\

gordonblair81

Re: Help! im in debt with no income....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
Hi Blitz

send them a letter explaining what situation you are in and also send them a copy of your Income & Expenditure (Incomings & Outgoings) making sure that you have nothing left at the end of each month.

In the letter i would offer to re-pay at £1 per month until you are back in full time employment and able to pay off the debt at a higher rate,  you are right o2 should not have given you the phone.

even if o2 say no too this then still make sure you make the £1 payment per month as this shows you are making a regular payment once back in work then up your payment.

Regarding the legal action i find it hard to beleive Buchananclark + Wells would do this for such a small debt (Compared to some) as it would probably cost them more to go through court than what the debt actually is.

thanks

Chris John

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
First of all you don't have to deal with the debt collectors.  Tell them they have no relationship with you, the debt is disputed and tell them to refer the matter back to O2.  usually with a little perserverence debt collectors will go away if handled correctly.  I know.  I have succeeded many times in doing so.

jasonb77

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
If you have no income the best thing to do is to ask for the debt to be completely written off - especially as previous poster suggests that you can only afford such a small amount, this could mean that its more expensive for them to collect your debt than what you owe them so they are more likely to write the debt off.
Reduce Your Debts Without a loan/IVA/Debt manageme