Author Topic: Ex-housemate ran up debt in my name  (Read 8933 times)

mooneus

Ex-housemate ran up debt in my name
« on: Dec 11, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
About 3 years ago I moved into a houseshare with someone I didn't know. It's fair to say we didn't see eye-to-eye - we were just 2 completely different people. I moved out in April 2015 to a different place. Around Nov/Dec of that year I got letters in the post saying I owed a catalogue order company £2,000. I had no idea what this debt was for and rang up to enquire. All my personal details were correct, e.g name/DOB. But the contact details were incorrect - it looked like someone created an email address to sound like me. I queried when the orders were placed and they confirmed it was after I left the property.

The debt collection company tried to argue that I had still placed the order, but after escalating it and being able to prove I was no longer living at the property the case was closed. However, it still remains on my credit report.

I'm just thinking 3 years on and now that I'm a bit older and wiser. Is there something I can do in order of compensation? I have no way of 100% proving it was my ex-housemate who ran up the debt, but realistically who else could it be? But up until now it seems like he was gotten away with it. Legally would I have a leg to stand on if I challenged him? I know he's not a wealthy individual, so would it even be worthwhile trying to salvage something from it.