Author Topic: How long does it take the letters stop?  (Read 6521 times)

Tracy

How long does it take the letters stop?
« on: Sep 01, 2007, 10:54:52 PM »
I had my day in court over 2 weeks ago, yet I am still getting nasty letters from the debt collectors. Shouldn't the OR have informed them all by now that I'm bankcrupt?

Chris

• Administrator
Re: How long does it take the letters stop?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
Nothing to worry about, it can take a few weeks for the paperwork to go through the system.

Tracy

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2007, 12:04:43 PM »
Nothing to worry about, it can take a few weeks for the paperwork to go through the system.

Ok Chris. Maybe I should write to the creditors to speed things along.

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:12:31 PM »
The OR must inform them by law and probably done so already. You can safely ignore the letters - they cannot touch you.

mch

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
i was still getting letters 6 months after the deed was done. ::)

micawber

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2009, 12:58:05 AM »
I have yet to see my name in The London Gazette and yet I am searchable via The Insolvency Service website. Some creditors seem to know yet others claim not to. I think they are all told at the same time but hope to intimidate you into paying outside the OR system. Nobody wants to be owed money but some of the calls have been close to bullying and I don't know how some of them sleep at night.

bankruptcy.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
1) It is your duty to provide the OR with a full list of creditors when you go bankrupt.
2) Even if you forget to place one of the creditors on the bankruptcy petition (or theroetically a lot of them!) the OR manual states that they are all to be written to as his duty and therefore every creditor in bankruptcy is written off (if unsecured).
3) If you are still getting contact from creditors it means one of 2 things.
a) Your OR has not done sufficient contact with your creditors and you need to inform him/her that you are being harassed.
b) You did not provide the OR with the creditor information at the time of the bankruptcy which therefore means you need to inform your OR so that he/she knows that creditor exists so that he/she can write to them.

Basically, communicate with your OR and explain your situation.

It is harassment, and under Section 40 of the administration of justice act 1970 your legal right is to stop this.
Tally that with the protection from harassment act 1977 and this is a criminal offence that you can take to the police!!

Best of luck!

Raphael GIlbert
Raphael Gilbert
Head of Insolvency Divison www.ban

Boromoor

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:31:12 AM »
I was made bankrupt in May last year after a failed IVA due to ill health, the OR had a list of all the creditors from my original IVA supervisors. However, I'm now receiving demands for payment of a debt which was originally owed to Lloyds TSB from 1st Credit who claim to have bought the debt (I do hope they did and that it them cost a fortune). They also had the cheek to suggest I send them £10:00 so that I could see what they had on their computer records about me.
As I figured they were "chancers" trying it on I wrote back to the say that I did not owe Lloyds TSB any money nor did I owe any to them and for a fee of £35:00 (administration) I'd be happy to send them proof that I did not owe them any money.  Not surprisingly they didn't send me £35:00, just a letter threatening court action if I don't pay in full in 7 days.  I've just added £10:00 to my admin fee and told them to "bring it on, I also printed "recipient will pay the postage" on the envelope.
After years of being chased by debt collectors it's great to give a little back, particularly to these "chancers" 

bankruptcy.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:34:21 AM »
Could not resist replying.

Awesome story!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Rock on! lol
Raphael Gilbert
Head of Insolvency Divison www.ban

Steven Jackson

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
Well done Boromoor. Depending on how long you want the game to go on, I would suggest that you eventually tell your trustee in bankruptcy to contact them and put a stop to it. Otherwise it will be neverending......
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com

Boromoor

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:01:58 PM »
You don't think they'll pay up then?

Steven Jackson

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
I think there is more chance of seeing flying pigs but I admire your enthusiasm...  :)
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com

Boromoor

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
Yet another "get rich quick" plan out he window :-[

Sovereign

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »
Fabulous storyline fella's. Really cheered me up! ;D
Sovereign Consulting

Steven Jackson

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 03:32:47 PM »
I was just thinking that actually Boromoor's story really shows how once your debt problem is under control, your sense of humour returns and you start to get a life again. Well done Boromoor!!
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com