Author Topic: Post Bankruptcy - can i be named on house deeds?  (Read 13568 times)

kerrywerrywoo

Post Bankruptcy - can i be named on house deeds?
« on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »

I went bankrupt in 2011 due to debts run up my my ex on my credit cards and was this was dissolved in Dec 2011....I got married in 2012. My husband recently purchased a home and I would like to know if its ok to put my name on the deeds too or could someone make a claim on it as an 'asset'? I think there is a time limit of 6 years but i might have imagined that !!??? I am concerned that my husband might have issues with my past [size=inherit] Thankyou x

Scrooge

Re: Post Bankruptcy - can i be named on house deeds?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2017, 01:00:28 AM »
Not quite sure of what you mean by dissolved? Do you mean you are now a discharged bankrupt, IE: the period where you were classed as bankrupt has ended? If that's the case your name on the deeds won't matter as long as you are sure you are definitely discharged from bankruptcy.

You may find this useful from The Insolvency Service:

Introduction

1. What is after-acquired property?

After-acquired property is any property (but not income) which has been acquired by or devolved upon the bankrupt since the commencement of the bankruptcy proceedings. Section 307 of the Insolvency Act 1986 allows the trustee of the bankrupt’s estate to formally claim such property by notice in writing for the benefit of the estate.

The trustee may claim such property even if the trustee only becomes aware of the property after the bankrupt’s discharge, providing it was acquired by, or devolved upon, the bankrupt between the date of the bankruptcy order and the date of discharge.

Lisa Thomas

Re: Post Bankruptcy - can i be named on house deeds?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »
I agree with Scrooges answer. No issue unless you are still Bankrupt OR if your husband has insolvency problems in the future this could cause a problem for both of you.
www.Nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800