Author Topic: Lying on credit card form  (Read 2847 times)

Sarah1984

Lying on credit card form
« on: Sep 05, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »
Hi I'm hoping I can get some advice please.
A few years ago I applied for a credit card and I told them I was in full time employment and earning 35000 a year. At the time I was unemployed as I was unwell. I was at the time thinking I would work again but unfortunately my health has deteriorated further and I have not been able to work. I now receive disability and employment and support allowance.

I have always kept on top of the repayments but I separated with the father of my children and this coupled with my physical health problems and depression I have spiralled up 8000 in debt and I'm struggling to pay. Especially because most of my income comes towards costs incurrured due to my illness including helping get my children to school and back.

I have been in touch with step change and they feel they can help me but I don't know what to do as I'm very scared what will happen to me because barclaycard may look into it and find out I lied and I couldn't physically and mentally cope with any more stress.

Can anyone advise please? Will I get into huge trouble for fraud or go to prison

Many thanks for reading

Lisa Thomas

Re: Lying on credit card form
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
It sounds as if a Debt Relief Order may be a good option for you, depending on your other circumstances.

If they investigate, which is unlikely, and find that fraud has applied then it is possible that the debt will survive any insolvency procedure but this is highly unlikely and I cannot see that it would be in the public interest for criminal proceedings to be brought against you to send you to go to prison for such a small sum (in the grand scheme of things).

I suggest you continue with the advice that Step Change are giving and hopefully this should enable you to get back on your feet again.

Best of luck
www.Nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800