Author Topic: The whole European Union thing, or lack thereof, is interesting....  (Read 24506 times)

Bollyholly

So then, what to do. 40k of debt. COMI firmly rooted in the UK in that I have a UK bank account (same one for 30 years), UK cards and UK debt. But I don't live there. Haven't done for years. I use my sister's address as a base and with everything going paperless there really isn't that much to send out to me these days. But I don't pay council tax. I am however on the electoral role. Reading around it would appear that one has to prove one's COMI in the UK. Conversely, my solictor was saying the other day, 'don't apply for bankrupty just let your creditors slap it on you'. Which is also interesting as a concept - I don't live in the UK, so how would they go about doing that?

Lisa Thomas

My understanding from a similar issues recently is that they would need to get permission from UK Court to serve the petition/bankruptcy documents on you outside of the UK.
www.Nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800

Bollyholly

Aha, now that's interesting. How much time is likely to pass before they apply to court for such documents?

Lisa Thomas

I'm afraid that all depends on the attitude of the creditor and I can only say 'how long is a piece of string'! Sorry.
www.Nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800