Author Topic: Timescale on a debt help  (Read 17412 times)

Paddymac

Timescale on a debt help
« on: Aug 20, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
I am being chased for a credit card debt which has been sold on. I last made a payment on 15th May2010.
I said that this meant that the debt had passed the statute. The debt company state the default date is November 2010 so they can collect.
Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

Markssxx

Re: Timescale on a debt help
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2016, 01:03:15 PM »
The vital point is was that the last time they or a DCA communicated with you? I think if you have had contact between that date and May this year then I think it is not statute barred. Also a default date depends  on whether you received the default notice too. I would think you have a strong case but an expert will confirm this.

Paddymac

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2016, 01:38:52 PM »
Thank you so much for that. The DCA contacted me in June. I don't remember recieving a default notice but it was a long time ago. I think I will write to the DCA and argue the case. Again thanks for your reply.

Markssxx

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
I would ask them for proof of the debt and a copy of the CCA as well as the letter of account assignment to confirm they owe the debt. They have to prove they own the debt. Which DCA is it and which card was it?

Paddymac

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
The DCA IS Lowell the card was "fly be" I thinkLowell bought the debt of someone else. I guess I should ask for all of this in writing. What is the CCA ?

Markssxx

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2016, 03:48:23 PM »
It is the credit agreement. But Lowell will have bought this debt for 10% of its value so don't rush or call them yet

Paddymac

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
Thanks for your help and support

Markssxx

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2016, 04:54:57 PM »
That's ok I do not have time forDCA etc and through my own debts learnt how to deal with them