Author Topic: Questions re Debt Relief Order  (Read 22986 times)

davidrichards27

Questions re Debt Relief Order
« on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »
I am sorry if this is not in the right place, but I am so worried and not sure what I am doing at the moment.
Current situation;
EDF Debt 7,000 pounds
Water debt 3,000 pounds
both of the above are in my name only
water debt 2,000 pounds
council tax debt 5,500 pounds
both above in joint names
current living arrangement, house is shared-ownership in my wife's name ONLY.
So my question is regarding trying for a DRO and how this would work for the joint debts.
I have read that I can try for the two debts in my name as I do NOT own property and we are in very low income.
Does anyone have any ideas about the joint debts, would a percentage being taken into account.
I have been led to believe that the council can persue both my wife and I for the same amount, surely if this is included in my DRO, then the liability is satisfied and they cannot still persue my wife?

Debt issues causing me serious health issues and effecting my marriage.
If anyone can help, please let me know
Thank you all
David

exlowellslave

Re: Questions re Debt Relief Order
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
Hey David
The main action in regards to your situation is your health and well being. The debts are no where as important as your health. If you inform anyone chasing you for debt that you are suffering serious illness then they need to treat you in the correct manor, they need to come to a agreement of repayment that is comfortable. In regards to the joint accounts you are both liable so its a joint agreement, if you came to a part settlement for the balance then the debt would no longer excist but make sure you receive conformation of this in writing. Stepchange debt charity can support and help with your finances for free of charge. If any of your debts get passed to Lowell financial i would advise to not pay or set any arrangement up just explain you are ill and stressed due to these debts and the serious illness team in house will write off the debt...Hope this helps..Dont forget your health is more important than any debt

Lisa Thomas

Re: Questions re Debt Relief Order
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »
Yes they can pursue your wife for joint debts as I'm afraid they are joint and several so the creditor can pursue either party.

She will need to consider her ability to pay the balance and liaise with the joint creditors about this.

Hopefully in writing off your debtors through the DRO your household income should be more manageable.
www.Nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800