Author Topic: CCJ query  (Read 9515 times)

luckymojo1974

CCJ query
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
Hi, hope someone can help.  I have an ongoing CCJ and have not breached the conditions, however, the creditor sought a charging order on my property which was allowed.  Since the charging order the creditor has been pursuing me to make arrangements to pay the debt off either by lump sum or agreed instalments.  I have explained that a plan already exists in the form of the CCJ but they say they are within their rights to continue to pursue the debt.  I have agreed to give them regular updates on my income and expenditure and to inform them should my circumstances change but am feeling worried about the persistent requests for payment.

EAK19891

Re: CCJ query
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »
When a creditor applies for charging order this basically means that they have security to obtain full repayment of the debt. The payment schedules in the mean time however depend on an agreement between you and your creditor. To avoid further stress for yourself, I would suggest calling your creditor and coming to an agreement of payment which is sustainable for you, and ensure that they update their systems to reflect this - perhaps suggest confirmation of the agreed schedule in writing ? Once this is in place they shouldn't bombard you with any more letters. The best thing to do in this case is to pay what you can off the debt each month (I understand a lump sum payment may be out of the question due to affordability) but paying as much as you can in monthly instalments will decrease the balance quicker and of course leave you with more ownership if you came to sell the property in the future.
hope this helps,
Elaine