Author Topic: should i get involved?  (Read 18229 times)

concerned93

should i get involved?
« on: Apr 27, 2014, 01:36:51 AM »
Basically, my dads been charged alot of tax on a house that me and my sisters inherited, we have no idea why because the house was/is nothing to do with him. My dad is unemployed and on disability benefits (he is alcohol dependant) and has no way of paying this debt  (almost £4,000), and the baliffs keep coming round, we have explained the situation and they say to speak to the council (who the debt is owed to), only they say its the baliffs problem. Now i am tempted to just pay what i can in installments but i don't know if that will backfire and the debt gets passed on to me. I want to do something, as it isn't helping my dads drinking and i don't want to spend everyday scared that the balliffs are back everytime the door knocks... Should i get involved? My family will tell me not to but i kind of feel like its partly my mess

Sunganani

Re: should i get involved?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »
What I would recommend is to find out from the council the nitty grittys of this debt and then perhaps talk to the family about what the plan for repayment is. You could then offer your help as one of the options. I hope it helps

Michael1

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »
I think that it is perfectly natural to feel as though you should get involved. The only thing is that neither party appears to be taking responsibility for the debt. If someone tells me that I owe them money, I would expect to be shown what I owe, not to be pushed back and forth. I think you need to confront BOTH parties before you ever make a payment because you deserve to know what you owe and who you owe it to.

alastair swanwick

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2014, 05:24:25 PM »
The council can help