Author Topic: Lowell Debt Advice Needed Please  (Read 2581 times)

mrgosht

Lowell Debt Advice Needed Please
« on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »
Hi,

I need some advice regarding a debt with Lowell. I will try to make it as short as possible.

A month ago, I received a letter from T-mobile and Lowell, stating that T-mobile has assigned my mobile contract debt to Lowell. The letter states:

We hereby give notice of the assignment of your T-Mobile debt due to use from you in respect of the balance £707 outstanding on your account.
On 31.10.13 you account was sold to Lowell Portfolio Ltd.
It is essential that all future payments, correspondence and quires regarding this account be directed to Lowell Portfolio LTD.

I sent a letter asking for further proof (Contract, Final Statement with a breakdown of charges, Letter of assignment, proof of my debt with lowell ) which I received from Lowell yesterday in the post. There is this sentence in the letter that I am unsure about :

You have not entered in to a contract with Lowell. When you took out the account with T-Mobile you agreed to their terms and conditions; an element of which stated that your account and personal details may be passed on to debt collection agencies should the terms and conditions not be adhered to.
The balance has not been paid. Ownership of the debt has been transferred to Lowell.
On some forums, others have suggested if Lowell have bought the debt, the debt has been cleared and I have no legal contract with Lowell to pay the debt.
What would be the next step to take?

Thanks for your time and I do appreciate your advice.

James Falla

Re: Lowell Debt Advice Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
Hi there mrgosht

There is absolutely no question that Lowell are now legally entitled to collect the debt from you using any means of enforcement they deem fit. The fact that Lowell have bought the debt from T Mobile does not in any way write off or clear the debt. If this were the case then why would Lowell be in the business of buying debts that no longer exist? If someone is suggesting to you that you can avoid paying the debt by claiming that it is now written off then I am afraid that they are wrong. My advise would be to make arrangements to start repaying this debt asap.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com