Author Topic: Bankruptcy on Benefits  (Read 1706 times)

Tessa1977

Bankruptcy on Benefits
« on: Nov 12, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »
Hello all, I have been considering my options very closely and from what I can make out I should apply for brankruptcy as my debts in total are over £30k.
Up until 2008 I was in full time employment and the world was great. I then went into business as a partnership and everything went wrong.
I am 36 years old and a single mother of a 16 month old baby. The last 5.5yrs have been colourful and distressing - but everyone has a story. The landlords (opend a bar...the i left the partnership within a year as we made no money - my ex business partner continued) are seeking to reclaim in excess £25,000 of debts incurred....that's just one of the debts...and I do dissagree with it. However, a few months ago i viewd my credit file and it's not good...all unsecured debts.
I have been requested by the landlords |(punch taverns) to attend an interview in court on 27 november 2013. This is was has prompted me to deal with my situation and take my head out of the sand.
This is my situation and my questions from what I have been researching:
Can I applyfor bankruptcy before the court interview?
I am a single mother of a 16 month old baby in receipt of full state benefits and living in private rented accommodation. I have spoken with my family and they have agreed again to help me to raise the court fees.
If bankruptcy is granted, at what point is my bank account frozen and how will/will I be able to still receive benefits to live on?
My local CAB is in an area where my childs father lives and I have a non-molestation and restraining order against him so I need all the help and advise I can get. I came accross this site after a google search for 'bankruptcy on benefits' and saw 2 converdsations which took place in 2010 with a Kate and CMK with advisor Sovereign and Steve Jackson.
Sorry if I've waffled a bit