Author Topic: Future employment, difficult questions  (Read 3626 times)

Supertramp

Future employment, difficult questions
« on: Aug 14, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
I have been discharged for more than 8 years, and all my credit files are clean and show no record of me ever having been bankrupt.
However, - I am applying for a new job, and on the application form it asks " Are you, or have you ever been, declared bankrupt?"

Are they legally allowed to ask this? - I fully understand if it asked 'are you currently bankrupt', but are they entitled to know of any long distant problems?
The job does not involve any money, ie banking or retail etc, and I really don't think it should matter about my past.

If I answer 'no' - its a lie, and could be found out, with likely dismissal,
If I answer 'yes' - I doubt I'll get a 2nd look
If I leave it blank, - its as good as saying yes.

Any ideas?

Tony

James Falla

Re: Future employment, difficult questions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
Hi Tony

Unfortunately as I am not an HR expert I cannot tell you whether the company involved is legally allowed to ask whether you have ever been bankrupt. In terms of my personal opinion given that the role you are considering has nothing to do with finance and you will not be in charge of any budgets then it is a totally irrelevant question and you should not have to answer it.

If you say no then in reality it is very unlikely that the company will find out that you were bankrupt in the past. There is a record of the fact that you were bankrupt kept in a publication called the London Gazette. This can be accessed and searched on line. However I think it is highly unlikely that the company you are applying to will even be aware of the existence of this.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

Supertramp

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
Thank you James for taking the time to reply.
Its not a simple yes or no.

Kind regards
Tony

russelanthony

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »
ts a lie, and could be found out, with likely dismissal.