Author Topic: Been informed my house has a lien against it?  (Read 1521 times)

expat46

Been informed my house has a lien against it?
« on: Jun 08, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »
Hi all,

I moved to another country some 3 years ago and renting my house in the UK. I thought I had cleared all debts before I left so outstanding mortgage/utilities are covered by tenant.

I have just received a letter after 3 years saying I owe in excess of 9K and that there is a lien against my property. I can only guess that there have been companies before this one who has made attempts to get in contact with me since my move but the person who was in the house at the time was throwing my mail in the bin?

What are my options in this matter? I guess that I wouldn't be able to sell the property with the lien against it? I have looked back over all my financials and turns out that there was an original debt of 3K which has now accrued into 9K with charges etc etc. (complete oversight on my behalf)

Can they force me to sell the house or can they take ownership?

This is totally new to me and never been in this situation before.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

James Falla

Re: Been informed my house has a lien against it?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »
Hi expat46

Do you mean a legal charge? As far as I am aware a lien is a similar thing but issued against property in the US. If your property is in the UK and a debt has been secured against the property it is called a charging order. If this is what has happened it is something you need to attend to. If debt remains unpaid the creditor could go back to the court and apply for an Order for Sale. If granted they can force the sale of the house. The court might be willing to grant this if it is an investment property and not used as your family home.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com