Author Topic: Possible ccj from a store card? Help needed please  (Read 2847 times)

qai

Possible ccj from a store card? Help needed please
« on: Mar 07, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »
Hi i ran up a debt on a topshop store card, i tried paying off the debt but every time i rang up to pay the debt they told me i provided incorrect details and would hang up. I was paying £10 a month but the debt has ran up to over £900. This has now been passed on to a debt collecting agency and i received a letter threatening to be sent to court, i sent a letter back agreeing to sort a plan to pay the debt, i have been informed by a family member that they have bought a CCJ from the court and i will be issued one unless i pay the full sum? Is this correct?

Any help/advice for me not to get a ccj would be appreciated!

MIKE

Re: Possible ccj from a store card? Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2013, 07:03:58 PM »
DCAs act to collect debt usually, but on occassions an actual DCA purchase debts then all rights etc are bought by them, they usually pay bettween 10% & 20% for it but buy in bulk portfolios, and then try collect as much as they can as profit, a CCJ would only be issued buy a court after a court case if you lost, the CCJ is then registered on a central register and your Credit  file.  but if you went to court you have certain amount of time to try and stop the action or produce evidence that the actual case documents sre incorrect. (long way down the line|). :-\ :-\

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:56:27 PM »
Hi Qai

Your last question: No thats incorrect. The letter does not mean that they have paid for a CCJ. It is only another way for the debt collector to try to get you to pay.

If they paid for a CCJ you will get a letter from the court advising you of this, then you still have time to submit your defence, and even after the CCJ has been granted and you pay within 30 days it gets removed from your file.

I take it that £10 per month is the most you can pay. You should go through a financial statement with them just to be safe, then get the £10 arrangement going again to avoid a CCJ. They would not take legal action just to get what they are already getting.

How does your family member know about it, did they speak to them about it?
Let me know if you require any more information

Mark Le Roux
Tempest Financial

James Falla

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
Hi there Qai
Did you sort this problem out? I have not posted on the forum for a while so did not see your post. If a debt collection agency is now collecting on behalf of TopShop it is highly likely that they are just threatening a CCJ. In fact the DCA themselves cannot take this kind of action. It has to come from TopShop (or GE Money who actually run the card and who you really owe the money to).
If you are really struggling with this debt and can only pay £10 a month, one option you should consider is a Debt Relief Order. Read up about this as if you are eligible it costs just £90 to implement and you pay nothing more. Your debts will then be written off.

Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com