Author Topic: Tuition fee debt advice  (Read 2026 times)

wccn

Tuition fee debt advice
« on: Aug 07, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »
Hi,

I was enrolled on a master degree course, accepted the offer in 2004 but decided not to do the degree, so I didn't pay the 8000 pound tuition fee and neither did I attend any lecture. I have moved a few places but now I received letters from credit management firm saying that I own that university 8000 pound. They also mentioned sending bailiff might be a possibility.

What should I do? Am I liable for the tuition fee for the course I didn't even do and the degree I didn't want? Access to CAB is difficult as they don't do telephone advice and I don't have time to go there in person. Is there any firm that can act on my behalf and tell me my right and the procedure?

Much appreciated.
wccn

Mr Maximus

Re: Tuition fee debt advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »
Hello WCCN

I would say it depends if you entered into a credit arrangement with the university or a contract. If you have accepted the offer I could understand them pursuing you but if you have never attended then I think it is a bit harsh for them to try and get £8k from you. I don't personally know who would offer advise about this.

Best bet is to get to the CAB and make time. The can help put your mind at rest and help resolve this.

Regards

Mr Maximus

wccn

Re: Tuition fee debt advice
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2008, 07:52:43 AM »
Thanks Mr Maimus,
I will give National Debtline and the university a call.
Regards
wccn