Author Topic: Credit Card debt passed to Wescot  (Read 1911 times)

hawkenstein

Credit Card debt passed to Wescot
« on: Sep 18, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
Hi All

I have a CC with Santander - the debt has been passed to Wescott. I was self employed for a year and I really struggled. im 5 month into a great new job, we have a little one on the way. I have made token payments of £50 to Santander and I called them this morning as they have put loads of charges onto and the original £5,300 limit is now up to £5,900. I had no idea until I spoke to them today that the debt had been passed on. I called to sort things out and to up payment to bring it up to date but now they have passed it on I'm of a mind to pay the minimum as I have lost the facility now anyway. Can anyone offer advice on how to deal with these people? Santander have given me a number to call them on but so far I have had nothing through the post from them. Your advice is greatly appreciated. My other half will be on maternity leave soon so every penny will count. help appreciated please in dealing with this.

mikkilaw

Re: Credit Card debt passed to Wescot
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
Presumably now the debt is with Westcott the charges and interest have been frozen? Westcott was one of the many companies that were chasing me before I obtained a DRO, probably one of the easier companies to deal with in my experience! Would you say that you were able to afford to pay them more than 1% of the debt per month, ie. about £60?

James Falla

Re: Credit Card debt passed to Wescot
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
Hi Hawkenstein
Sometimes it is an advantage if your debt has been passed to a collector like Wescott as they tend to be easier to deal with than the bank's own collections department. As Mikkilaw mentioned, this should also now mean that further interest and charges have been frozen. My advice would be to submit an income and expenditure statement to them showing what you can afford to pay and start making payments to them.
Do you have other debts you are struggling with? If so it might be an idea to consider dealing with them altogether using a debt management plan or even an IVA.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com