Author Topic: Bailiffs Notice  (Read 1232 times)

hereforhelp2012

Bailiffs Notice
« on: Sep 13, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
Hey im currently living with a parent and on jobseekers , my mums on carers alowence . shes received a letter from a bailiff telling her that today they will call out and they have the right to a peaceable entrance , which i believe means they can climb through a window ! or walk into a an unlocked door ! which to me is just crazy . in Scotland they wouldn't let this happen :( so i really need advice on how to deal with this . the debt is around £250 in council tax . thank you

James Falla

Re: Bailiffs Notice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2012, 09:58:34 AM »
Hi there

If the debt that your Mother has is for unpaid council tax then this needs to be resolved as it could lead to a very serious situation. If the council has instructed Bailiffs it probably means that they have issued a liability order against your Mother. It is true that bailiffs cannot force their way into her property and she does not have to let them in. However if the council has tried using bailiffs but the Council Tax still isn’t paid in full, they may apply to the Magistate’s Court for a warrant committing her to prison (although the Court would only actually agree to this as an absolutely last resort).

Is your Mother truely unable to make any payment towards this debt? If not then I suggest that she looks at the option of a Debt Relief Order. This would cost £90 but if she qualifies this and any other debts she has would be taken away from her once and for all.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

Steven Jackson

Re: Bailiffs Notice
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
Hello hereforhelp2012

Whether your Mother has other debts or not it sounds as though your Mum is on a low income. If she is living in rented property then a Debt Relief Order as James has suggested may well be an ideal solution for her. This would take her debts away from her and all court / bailiff actions would be stopped.
Debt Expert
ivainformation.com