Author Topic: Im afraid for the future  (Read 2271 times)

kazziebon

Im afraid for the future
« on: Aug 04, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »
I have been on a DMP for just over 4 years now and have paid off more than half my original debt. However, I am struggling to pay my other bills such as household utilities and the car.  I work 9 miles away so a bus journey is impossible, and i am currently spending £35 per week on fuel, and to make things worse, my 10 year old car is on its last legs.  We hardly have enough money left for food and find we are borrowing money towards the end of the month, which is difficult to pay back. I have sold almost everything i own on ebay and at carboots. I don't know what to do, my partner is very supportive, but i know that he cannot afford to help much as he is currently paying the rent and rates and is taking every overtime opportunity.  I want to start a family and we agreed that once my DMP is paid we will be able to afford to raise a little one, but at 28 I don't see that happening too soon. I feel as though my life is on hold due to debts. :-[

debthelper

Re: Im afraid for the future
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »
They say if you can't increase your income reduce your expenses.

By the sounds of it you guys have really reduced your expenses as much as possible.

Try to look for every way imaginable to increase your income. Keep in mind, in life if you put a lot of effort into increasing your income (either by applying for jobs, asking people for a job etc...) eventually it will pay off.

You really have to push up your income if you can't decrease your spending. Asking people can be hard but if you've been taking loans and stuff you are already used to asking. Now you just have to apply yourselves to asking for better jobs, pay rises, etc.

Debt relief order

Mr Maximus

Re: Im afraid for the future
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »
I agree with Debthelper. About 4 months ago I was in real deep doo doo and I had the oppurtunity to take redundancy from work. Got an £4k pay out and then moved into another job that pays £8k more per year. But still I am stuffed financially but it does pay to ask.

Also if you are respected in your job role they might increase your wages just to keep you. My other half did this and effectively was involved in a dutch auction between a potential employer and her current one. End result she got a job paying £4k per year more in the space of 4 weeks!

Put yourself forward you have nothing to lose.

Mr Maximus