Author Topic: CCJ when abroad  (Read 1354 times)

johbsk2004

CCJ when abroad
« on: Jun 15, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
My husband left the UK in April 2012. I have just found out that he has had a CCJ made against him in June 2012. Can the courts come after him when he is abroad outside the EU.
Can the company get money from his UK bank account without him giving them the details?

James Falla

Re: CCJ when abroad
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
Hi there
If your husband has left the UK and is now living outside the EU it will be down to the specific creditor as to how much effort they want to put into trying to collect their debt from him. Can you tell us who the creditor is and how much you owe? If it is a standard high steet bank and the amount he owes is not significant, then I would be surprised if the creditor will come searching for him. They certainly cannot get money from his UK bank account. However if the amount he owes is significant and if he plans to return to the UK at any stage then it would perhaps be sensible for him to sort out the debt by considering a debt management plan, IVA or even bankruptcy if he has no property.
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com

johbsk2004

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »
It is an estate agents for £1400. He will not be returning to the UK except maybe for a visit.

James Falla

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
Given it is not a standard commercial banking creditor, it is difficult to predict what action this estate agent might take to collect their debt. However given the amount is only £1400 then I would be surprised if they would take it further than simply applying for the CCJ. I have to say given this level of debt it would be sensible for your husband to simply pay it. If he does not have the funds to do so then he could pay be monthly installments, say £50-£100 a month. It would take a year or so to pay but then at least he would not have it hanging over him. 
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com