Author Topic: Clean break from divorce  (Read 899 times)

Joombes

Clean break from divorce
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »
Hi
I'm wondering if someone can give me any advice...
My ex wife and I got divorced 2 years ago... We had to declare bankruptcy when we spilt up so we don't have any assets. We have a little boy together and I pay csa every month.
I am remarried now and looking at buying a house with my new wife in the next 18 months. Do I need to apply for a clean break order so my ex wife can't try and claim anything on our house? She is remarried now and has a family and gets £600 a month for our little boy.
Would she be entitled to a house we buy in the future?
Any advice would be great

James Falla

Re: Clean break from divorce
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »
Hi there Joombes,
Have you now been discharged from your bankruptcy? If so there is nothing to stop you from applying for a mortgage. However you must remember that the record of your bankruptcy remains on your credit file for 6 years from the date you were bankrupt. As such you may have difficulty getting a main stream mortgage and will need to apply to sub prime lenders.
In terms of whether your ex wife would be able to claim anything against you if you now by a property, unfortunately this is not my field. I think you would be best to ask a solicitor or perhaps even the CAB to get an answer about this. Could you speak to the solicitor who dealt with your divorce?
Debt Expert & Author
beatmydebt.com